- Merely 'explaining/teaching the Bible' and not preaching the living Word of God. (I think we should ban the phrase 'we are now going to hear the Bible explained'. I don't need it explained. I need it preached.)
- Introducing us to the text and not to the issue addressed by the text.*
- Providing overelaborate explanations of the biblical-theological background to no great end.
- Moralising from the Old Testament.
* which is really hard to do, and is one of the many reasons I think Tim Keller is a genius, because he seems to be able to do this one really well.
See also: Michael Jensen's next bookblog HIM: An Introduction, and his excellent post on preaching like Peter Roebuck