Sometimes he kills us to save us - award winning poetry by Karsten Piper
2. Grace night at Plymouth. How good is the gospel!
3. The Reason for God is looking really good so far. Tim Keller opens by engaging with common objections to the Christian faith, with brief Christian responses - and it looks like he'll go more directly at arguing for Christianity in the second half. Meanwhile, the guys at xmedia.ex.ac.uk are still critiquing my last lunchbar talk - which is fine. I'm still learning and trying to engage more carefully questions and provide rigorous and careful answers. Keller should be useful, I've also valued James Sire's Why Good Arguments Fail recently, and I'm about to begin reading John Frame's Apologetics to the Glory of God. Lunchbars are particularly challenging - when you have big question and about 1200-1500 words to respond to it what can you do? Keller is helping me see the importance of engaging with the questions around the question before presenting Christian hope in the area concerned.
As I reflect on the 'sadism' talk, I'm inclined to think that the question I was given to speak on was too ambitious and too technical for the lunchbar format. In the form given it's a question being asked more from within the liberal wing of evangelicalism than anything else. Not sure I've meet many skeptics who ask 'who killed Jesus' - though that's not to say there is no mileage in arguing the exegesis of that issue. On the other hand, the fairness of hell is a key question to wrestle with in the 21st Century.
4. Calm before the storm. This has been something of a desk week (since Wednesday at least) - soon I wont have time to breathe with CU Leaders weekend and interviewing for new staff, amongst other things. Spending Monday and Tuesday with the Team and Nathan was ideal. I ♥ SW Team.
5. Starbucks. Not this week. Did have a Yates's meal with the Plymouth CU leaders though.
6. Karaoke Kings. Just good fun to have our champions provide a live performance on Monday night. Grudem! Plus their plots for variations on the theme... whether they dare pull off a Piper, Carson, Virgo medley for New Word Alive we'll see!
7. Tasty. Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart,for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of hosts. (Jeremiah 15v16). ht: Nathan.